The only TV programme I make sure I never miss is Lost. Shah Rukh Khan could come knocking at my door and I would ask him to wait if Lost were airing right then. Perhaps I am so addicted to this programme, because my own life is so similar. I, too, am "stranded" on an island in the middle of nowhere where meaningful coincidences abound.

Part of the show's appeal is that it is so much like real life. Fiction doesn't usually like coincidences; they can't fit into a plot neatly and there are all those awful loose ends that need to be tied up. And, just as real life is full of meaningful coincidences, so is Lost, even if we, the viewers, can't make much sense out of them yet. I am confidently hoping that all will be revealed, both on screen and in my life ...

Meanwhile, I am keeping track of these synchronicities in a journal. The psychologist Carl Jung coined the term synchronicity to describe the meaningful coincidences that can serve as clues to what you should be paying attention to. Or as Deepak Chopra puts it: “A coincidence is a clue to the intention of the universal spirit, and as such it is rich with significance”.

If you pay attention to the synchronicities in your life, you will notice some kind of common thread of shared meaning or purpose. You know that you are on track with fulfilling your life purpose, when these "messages from the Universe" start multiplying. And multiply they will, the more you notice them.


Sometimes it is difficult to make any kind of sense out of these coincidences. This is where keeping a synchronicity journal is really useful. With the benefit of hindsight, you will often see the relevance of an event in our life. And, with practice, you can make the connections ahead of time.

Life has certain themes that it plays out, sometimes over and over again. Organising your journal in this manner can help you to connect the dots between these synchronicities. Look back over your life and identify certain themes that keep coming up. Or themes that you would like to come up, as in goals or wishes manifesting and start a new page for every set of significant coincidences.

My synchronicity journal has a page dedicated to India, my soulmate, my dream of a spiritual retreat centre and my spiritual development. It's full of cross-references from one area of my life to another. For instance, I grew up listening to stories about India from my mother who lived there. Often, I'll be the only non-Indian at a party full of Indians. It's the only food I can actually cook. The smaller coincidences are books that I come across "accidently" literally finding them on the street, living across the Indian Embassy, etc. The night before I "was moved" to the Seychelles by a series of coincidences, I watched a Bollywood movie which was filmed right on the beach (in the Seychelles) I was going to. Recently, I met a woman who wants to move to Goa to open a spiritual retreat centre. And last, but not least, I found a new love a couple of months ago. Indian.

These are just some of the larger themes that seem to crop up in my life. There are many smaller coincidences which confirm the direction I have taken and am going. I list mostly all in my synchronicity journal. It all helps to clarify the big picture.

Where will I flow from here, I wonder? Lost is on tonight; maybe I'll find out more about my life ...

0 comments